Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Learning Curve! Cricut Expression 2


I spent the day home from work due to a stomach bug.  I am soooo hoping it is gone by tomorrow.  After I layed around as long as I could, I decided to get up and try and do something.  My new Cricut Expression 2 was in the box, so I began upacking it and reading about what changes would like ahead for me with this new machine. I think for some of you that own the Imagine, you probably had the same learning curve I am experiencing now.  I remembered when I got my first Baby Bug, it went months before I cut something successfully.  I didn't have the patience and it seemed like it took me forever to figure out what I was doing.  I did a search on the Internet and came across My Pink Stamer's website.  It was because of Robyn that I fell in love with my Cricut.  By watching her videos, I became very comfortable with what I was doing and the obsession began.  My baby bug starting to not cut correctly and I found the deal of the century for a new Expression on Ebay.  I think I got the new machine and 5 cartridges for $135.00!  I have been in love with my Cricut ever since and can't wait until the weekends so I can do little paper crafting in my loft.  I purchased the new Expression 2 last week from the launch on HSN.  I really didn't intend to purchase, but the hype got me and I decided to take the plunge.  I must confess, I still want the Imagine, but I can wait.  The main reason I want the Imagine is because I use a lot of Stampin Up papers and some of the colors have been discontinued.  With the Imagine, I can put in the color codes and print the patterned paper to match my vast paper collection of solid colors.  The new E2 (that's what I've nicknamed my new machine) will allow me to use Imagine cartridges as well as the regular cartridges, so I think it was a good investment.  I updated my Gypsy so I could use it with the E2.  I really love the feature on the Gypsy where I can move my images on the mat.  I then layer my colors on the mat to match the image layout and it prints, beautifully everytime.  My first experience with the E2 made me aware I would have to think a little more about paper placement.  I am hoping with a future upgrade we will be able to move the image on the screen just like we do with the Gypsy.  Before turning on my machine, I went back to My Pink Stamper's website to watch the training videos she had done on the E2.  Again, Robyn is a life and time saver as she walked me through almost all of my first steps.  The two cards you see are what I did from the E2 this afternoon.  My youngest grandson has a birthday this weekend, so I used the Birds on Parade cartridge to cut out the bird.  Then back to MPS stamps for the cutest sentiment Happy Bird day!  How cute!  The next card is for my daughter in law for Mother's Day.  I used Florals Embellished & Elegant Edges and My Pink Stamper stamps.  This was my second attempt with Florals Embellished and I have to remember to cut the images out BIGGER.  I think they will look better.  However, I am having some issues with the layering aspect of this cartridge so hopefully I will get some answers on Cricut's web page tonight.  The Elegant Edges is a really fun cartridge and I can see myself reaching for this one time and time again.

Hope you enjoyed my projects.  Leave me a comment and invite me to your blog as well.  I love everyone's ideas!  Have a great night.

Mimi

2 comments:

  1. The cards look awesome. Hope your DIL doesn't read your blog before this weekend ;) Glad you are enjoying E2. Drew will LOVE his card by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she will be too busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments too! Invite me to YOUR blog so I can how "crafty" you are!